Friday, January 26, 2007

Poutine

I made some Poutine at work today. We had cheese curds, potatoes, oil for frying and I made a sad and quite nasty gravy out of some condensed veal stock shit. But after it was all done, everyone ate it and only one angry Dutchmen said he didn't like it.
True Poutine seems to be one of those things that just doesn't transport. Originated in Quebec this Canadian dr/j - unk food is now a classic north of the boarder. Here it seems a bit heavy and not to tasty while eaten sober.
I hand cut a couple russet potatoes, heated up a big ol pot of sunflower oil (not a bad oil for frying) and parfried the taters until soft. Then I cranked the heat and in small batches fired them off to a crisp darkish brown. Toss in salt and you have some nice fries. They could have been better but I was watching the counter as well and had to run off a couple of times....The gravy I went real lax on just opened a puck of veal demi glace mixed with water and added to a roux I'd whipped up. It turned out really gross. The cheese curds were anything but fresh, and as I understand, the key or one of the key elements is to have squeaky fresh cheese curds to melt under the hot fries and gravy, which I have learned is supposed to be a Velouté sauce.
So my first crack at Poutine was slightly so so, but I won't be thwarted. I will try this Canadian delicacy again ey.

No comments: